Living Pro Prose

On a day where there are dirty dishes sitting in my sink, not many, but a few 

and the dishwasher is sitting full of clean dishes  

in need of being put back onto shelves,

on a day where there is dirty laundry crumpled in small bundles 

sitting in a clothes hamper with little stains and odd smells

that are blended from food, pets and perfume  

I ignore them all to spend time gestating in my own imagination

far away from such trivial things.


Yes, I know there are small coffee stains painted on the counter tops in my kitchen

some in circles, some in half parenthesis, some splotchy, some small spots,  

right next to fresh bread crumbs haphazardly scattered about

while I pretend that they’re not there, 

in order to spend time pilfering small anecdotes of word phrases 

from ideas that have gathered around 

that I wish I could place into something written for as it is

all the while knowing that the floor needs to be swept and the ceiling fans dusted

especially on a day where the carpets need vacuumed

and the rugs need a washing, the trash bins need emptying, the sinks need to be wiped

but I am in no such mood at the moment to do so

for I am busy with something much larger, more anomalous,

that has taken control for the moment preventing me from such tasks.


On a day where the sun is standing high in the sky,

not a cloud one to darken its radiant light,

on a day where the temperature is testifying that indeed springtime has arrived

as bird, bee and worm works diligently in my small garden of flowers

heartily feasting themselves, yet pollinating for me, 

as winds breathe new life into the trees that surround them,

playing their leaves, limbs and needles as instruments with strings

in a symphony unlike all others, sounding of light applause

or slight paddling from rain.


Yes I know I have weeds to pull, and two dogs that need a bath

but all of that seems too tedious right now 

because I’ve been set upon by poetic whims

that beg for my attention with tantalizing words, nothing new of course, 

unless I consider them in a newness for myself

that replaces such drab moments like scrubbing a toilet

or fluffing couch cushions, or folding couch blankets and putting away my shoes.  

On a day where I’d rather be writing something from the infancy of my imagination 

than I would be wiping down door knobs or table tops or cleaning out the refrigerator.


Jade Dane Jaspers


Popular posts from this blog

Nature's Frivolity

Alas, The Spring

Road Trip