The Space Between You, Me
As my thoughts roam through ideas, seeking one that would, could give
me a start to take to rhyme something written in design
about the moon, about the sea, about the space between you, me
something mortal, something fictitious, something growing, something delicious
I find so many thoughts to write in this place at this quiet time,
emptied of such such and such, filled with many thoughts as much
like the sands on distant shores, like the stars stretching forth,
like a puppy's nose and whine like a hand that intertwines,
fingers wrapped to hold and lead, through a meadow's flower weeds.
A friend who calls to say hello, I have missed you more than you can know,
little birds, blue and yellow, butterflies that float on bellows
of the winds that softly pass over blades of greener grass
so many thoughts, yes it's true , but which to write, my favorite is you.
The way you talk, the way you smile, the perfectness of you beguiles
my thoughts to which I wish to think, away like moments in a blink
and sends my mind to other spaces in the secret hidden places
where our house is filled with laughter bleating forth before and after
we have gathered to become something brighter, cheering on,
the likeness of ourselves as we, grown from other parts to be,
you as you and me as me, hoping time would set us free
from all the useless things that bind us and restrict to confine us
in two separate portals of something less than what we love
like lazy breezy afternoons where talk is soft and moods are too,
spending moments, easing fears, assuring each the other is here
to give way and keep kindled, all the good that life has spindled
on our spools, for both of us, learning life and truthfulness
how I wish we were there now, you and me, that where, somehow
I could be much more myself and not set up on a shelf
wasting time and gathering dust while my thoughts of you grow rust
and you could say that, "I want you, I chose this always to be true,"
but it's just another day where I search for ways to say
something other than I thought, thinking should or should I not
unwrap my heart and let it sing of all the difference that you bring
when I take the time to free my want of you to be with me.
Jade Dane Jaspers