A Festive Invite

And I would’ve replied I’m sure

had it not been for the fact that I was otherwise occupied

joining in all the frivolous festivities of celebratory rituals

I had decided to attend once I had received the invite

from several artisan elves who were busy enjoying a widespread feast

of sugary delights among sparkling lights on evergreen limbs of trees

white strips of ivy and red dots of holly, small glass globes and snowflakes

discussing how much fun it was to laboriously chore away the day

for a season of time that more and more people found tiresome

as the elves and the gnomes and  their fairy friends discussed 

how different life was becoming

because of the failing infrastructure of their existence

and how some of them had spent nearly all summer on window sills

or hidden on tree limbs, among shrubbery and such

amid small droplets of water splattered from rain and fog 

just waiting for a book to be opened to explain to the little humans

how elves were as real as them and busy working and fairies were too

and always busy fairying amid the corridors of the forests, 

with small giggles of delight to draw a child’s eye to a flower 

that the fairy had planted last year from a seed

that it used as an umbrella, more like a parachute 

to land in just the right spot for the little person to see.

And I would’ve felt better if I could have told them not to worry

it's just a small phase of mankind and that they’ll grow out of it

but I couldn’t and it bothered me because I know the minds of men

with their overbearing nuisance in perpetual onslaughts of noises

and preoccupation with digital pixels of warfare and conflicts 

of make believe journeys in conquering their monstrous minds

where they roam freely in an attempt to subdue humanity.

I was saddened for a moment as I watched a small elf

hold in its hand to show all the others a small little bear

it had spent hours carving out of a block of ceramic

just knowing that someone would see it and awe

take it from a shelf and give it a home where it would look lovely

sitting on a mantel or placed among family photographs

as part of the family itself, welcomed and appreciated for its craftsmanship

but alas, the small elf was dejected yet cheered by his friends  

because the season was still young and there were many more hours

in which someone could still find his small chiseled bear just as majestic

as the statue of David or perhaps the great Thinker 

carved out of stone by men who were fascinated and educated 

and well aware of their friends the elves

whom they had been told about as a child in both story and song

and welcomed with open arms to live among them all the same.

I don’t remember now where I was going with all of this

except just to say that I would’ve have responded 

to a small note of interest related to me by an acquaintance 

but I was otherwise occupied making merry and bright

with lifelong friends who had been by my side, in life and imagination, 

since I first heard of them so many years ago 

and how happy they were to know me and thought of me often 

hoping to sing songs and string garlands and be cheerful for no other reason

except that we were together as we’ve always been, eager and willing,

to be together as we are, both happy and satisfied, to be who we are.  


Jade Dane Jaspers

Popular posts from this blog

Nature's Frivolity

Alas, The Spring

Road Trip