The Damn I Don't Give

Now, as for the damn that I don’t give, 

yes I’m well aware that we all have one,

but as for mine, let me refer you to my coffee

dark brown, untainted with frills like sugar

as to not sweeten the appetite of thrill seekers

in search of said damn which I do not care to give

devoid of softeners like creamer

unspoiled by mocha’s, caramels, nuttiness or spiced anything

no marshmallows, no foam, no frothy nothing

just like the damn that I do not give.

My damn is the same as my coffee

just take a look there at my cup

never empty, always filled to various levels

slightly warm, smooth, rich and mellow,

allowed to cool naturally with no need for ice

it is my damn and I do not care to give it.


You should see it, it's so frigging cute,

just sitting there on the inside of my mind,

little homebody that it is,

playing with play-doh, making little animal figures

then squishing them back out of shape

to try something new besides animals.

It is my damn,  

all dressed up in its best sunday go to meeting suit

with a little bow tie and matching hat,

prim and proper, polished and poised

holding its propriety, elated that I am its keeper

allowing it to abide with me as it wishes

unwilling to force it out on its own

into a big scary world of people insisting

that it too must be given.


I like the damn that I don’t give

we get along in all the very best of ways

We set the table for high tea, pull out the tea cups,

dust off the doilies, sneeze all over each other

eat a bag of cookies and laugh at the clocks

making silly jokes, then turn them into poetry

so everyone will know exactly where my damn is,  

with me, content to be so and happily kept.  

It is my damn and I do not care to give it

for lack of caring for others egos 

always in need of validation

after they have noticed that I do not give my damn

to anyone undeserving of such a loyal little friend

who has endured all there was to endure with me

when everyone else just packed up and left

without the first inkling of saying it would be so.


It is my damn and I do not care to give it

so if you happen to see me about 

and are hoping to entice me out of it

just forget it

the good lord gave me this damn for life

to give or to keep, it was all up to me,

to be used or saved, it is my damn 

happily home, where it belongs, unafraid

or remorseful to be as it is, mine.  


Jade Dane Jaspers


Popular posts from this blog

Nature's Frivolity

Alas, The Spring

Road Trip