Turns Out I'm a Quirk

As it turns out I’m a quirk. 

Leave it to me not to know it until someone said so

yet here I am, in all of my splendor

as quirky as a quirk can be

filled with indecision past on from procrastination

ready for anything at the drop of a hat

ambitious, dedicated, always eager yet reserved

not much left to say but wait there’s more 

because here’s all of my nuance, I think from some seance, 

that the universe had some while ago,

while trying to dredge up all its ancestors 

because some weird stuff was happening that it couldn’t explain

in light of the vastness of the heavens around it

so it lit all of its stars and joined hands with its planets

then began summoning anything that would listen to it

and the next thing you know angels appeared 

had too much to drink, got in a fight with some aliens, made little monsters

named them then poof, they were gone and left us here  

to find out who we are in the endless seas of space

while standing on this little pebble of a planet called earth

as other pebbles much bigger zip past us

to keep us in our place, hoping we don’t become too radical

and try to dissent among all the other orbits,

for land’s sake, sit still.


Turns out, I’m a quirk

hiding among poets and painters and musicians and such

just a quirk, unable to dedicate myself wholly to any one genre

or idea or belief 

except well, yeah there’s writing, I like to do that

and people, sometimes, if I am welcomed

because I’m not really a feeler, I’m a thinker

everything passes through thought not emotions 

and not just once, several times, as if it’s an object

that must be examined and processed then questioned anew.

I guess I could be called a tinker thinker quirk

the way I like to disassemble things

except emotions, because they are too fickle

and disappear for the most part 

and change after I think about it and find them all wrong

or silly or judgmental or useless because I’m a quirk.

Not really set in one way or the other 

simply exploring as much as I can

in my own little ways

as safely as possible and when I have time

to enjoy all the living there can be in life

without all the demands and the hustlers of conformity

now dressed as anxieties demanding we all be labeled something

if nothing else as a struggle 

because acceptance demands so to seem adequate or useful

which I note that I am but only to a select few

because I am a quirk and life made me that way

when the universe noticed some odd goings on

some million years ago and wanted to know how things would turn out

and brought in a fortune teller who read war charts and tea leaves. 


And some wonder why I'm a quirk.


Jade Jaspers


Popular posts from this blog

Nature's Frivolity

Alas, The Spring

Road Trip