Her Odd Little Sock

 

It began as one of life's little discoveries

A new friend to talk to, to share with, to look forward to

On days when everything else was not much of an event

Kids in need, spouses too, daily chores galore

A few minutes of our own to laugh, discuss, create

Letters, notes, calls for sanity amidst our own to do list

We fit together like a pair of soft socks, comfortable, gentle, softies we are

Weeks passed, kids grew, life changed, we did too

As we forward pressed through living 

Not expecting much of anything only the next day

Where our opinions were often left out of our own lives

To appease the inner turmoils to sate another's needs

Family first, keep them happy let go of our own escapes

Soon a soft silence came between us, calls stopped

Letters too, but we were just living and understood that

No need for harsh judgments or condemnations

Then out of the blue one day, a call, I was thinking about you

Or a small encouragement sent email, don't lose touch

Which became, where did you go I haven't heard from you in a while

Then oh, hey, there you are, like a lost sock, her odd little mate

You know, that odd-ball sock that's always missing

Even though you know you put it in your drawer with the other one

Or maybe you didn't, maybe it's down in the couch,

or maybe it's still in the dryer hanging out by itself

just happy to still be a sock with no holes in it.

We laugh about her finding me, we catch up on our lives

Then retreat back to ourselves, our own ways, our own times

Paired up together, stuck back in a drawer, waiting to be worn

By someone, heck anyone, who knows what a pair we are

Until one day she'll notice that I'm not there, I'm missing

And she'll spend her next moments looking under metaphorical beds

In dusty old corners, behind washing machines and hampers, noticeably aware

Sifting through storage boxes, even worn shoes, I know I just saw you,

Oh, wait there you are, one of my favorite socks, how do I keep losing you?  

I know how life changes, I know you go through things

I know that life is challenging when stuffed inside its shoe

But we’re a pair, you and me, mismatched as we maybe  I still like knowing you're there, my odd little sock.


Jade Jaspers

Popular posts from this blog

Nature's Frivolity

Alas, The Spring

Road Trip